This is a top weight loss question on Dr. Oz’s Sharecare community that I answered and I want to share my answer with you too.
Here are my top tips I give my clients to help them get moving:
If you have not been active before and dread exercise, starting an exercise program can seem like a near-impossible goal. Here is what you can do.
Find activities that work for you. You don’t need to run marathons to gain the health benefits of physical activity! All you need to do is start moving, and gradually your fitness level will improve. As you lose weight, you’ll be able to do more each day. Here are some ideas of activities you may want to try:
1. Walking – it is one of the best, and simplest, weight-bearing activities
3. Doing stretching exercises
Whatever activity you choose, go slowly, and start by warming up your muscles with simple movements such as marching in place and swinging your arms.
Here are some simple tips to help get you going:
1. Attitude is everything: “I think I can, I think I can.” Believe in yourself, and know that every little bit will add up to big results over time.
2. Set realistic goals. Start by walking 5-10 minutes a few times per week, and build on your success little by little.
3. Don’t think all activity has to be an actual workout. Move more whenever you can, even if it is just 10-15 minutes of physical activity throughout the day.
4. Try different movements and activities to find things you enjoy.
Take baby steps, and keep in mind that every little bit helps. No matter what fitness level, feel good about yourself and what you are able to do now. Don’t beat yourself up if you cannot do a certain activity, just try again next time — and be proud of yourself for trying! And remember to have fun!