This is a recent question I answered on Dr. Oz’s Sharecare site that I wanted to share with you too. Snacking can be an effective way to lose weight when done right. Eating 3 portioned meals and 2-3 healthy snacks every day has helped many of my clients lose weight. Eating first thing in the morning and then every 2-3 hours is an effective way to keep your metabolism going strong and to ensure that your energy levels remain constant throughout the day.
What Happens When You Skip a Meal or a Snack?
- Your body’s metabolism slows down to make the food/fuel you gave it hours ago last longer.
- Your blood sugar drops, leaving you feeling cranky and light headed.
- You overeat at the next meal, to make up for the dip in blood sugar.
Here are some delicious, healthy snacks to check out:
- An apple OR banana OR an orange OR whatever is in season
- Rice cake with almond butter or spreadable fruit
- 8 slices of carrot/celery and hummus